We are diverse here at the Red Rage Tailgate. So far we have posted some pretty tasty recipes, and this one is no exception. However, sometimes when you eat at tailgates, you can stray from eating healthy. It’s easy to do. There are a lot of burgers and hot dogs to be had. They are quick and easy to make.
So what if you can make something easy that is healthy, but also tastes good? Well, here is a nice recipe for taco soup. You add all of the ingredients to the crock-pot and let that do the work. This will make about 3-4 bowls, so adjust the numbers accordingly or bring multiple crock-pots.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or ground chicken
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 package hidden valley ranch dressing mix
- 1 package low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 – 15 oz can pinto beans
- 1 – 15 oz can chili beans
- 1 – 15 oz can whole kernal corn
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1 can rotel
- Organic blue chips
- Eat with a fibrous carb such as bread or a wrap.
- If you don’t want your fibrous carb to be bread, then add any fibrous veggie to your soup, such as bell peppers, celery, broccoli, squash.
- Brown the meat, put in crock-pot. Add all other ingredients (except chips).
- On high setting, cook for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- On low setting, cook for about 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- When finished, add organic blue chips to your bowl for that cracker-like substance you would put in chili.
What’s great about this, other than it being good for you, is the convenience. You just do the work at home and bring it with you. Hopefully you have somewhere to plug in the crock-pot at your tailgate to keep it warm. But just let everyone fill up their bowl and you are good to go. No need to pull out the grill and use that and then have to clean all of that up. It’s a nice alternative to have to save time.